It's the little things: Roti Canai

Roti canai has always been my nasi lemak. While most Malaysians crave the aromatic rice and sambal fare, the roti has always topped my list.

I don't know what is it about it that I love - perhaps it's how it takes me back to the days of weekend breakfasts at the local stall, or how it was a treat after the dreaded early-morning mental arithmetic lessons. As a child, I used to be amazed by the antics of the roti-canai-man, the pounding of the dough followed by the deft flips. On hindsight, I have a feeling they always made it just a tad more theatrical than necessary to keep me entertained.
The best sort of roti canai is light, crisp and paper thin. I like them with no fuss, and with a generous helping of fish curry.

So, when my brother finds some time in of his busy schedule to meet me for lunch, I jump at the chance to live like a fourteen year-old again. While he tucks into his "Maggi goreng double", I'm perfectly content with my roti canai.

Yes, it's definitely good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment