It's the little things: Bak Kut Teh

My favourite bak kut teh isn't served at a restaurant but out of stall run by two ladies at the food court across the street from where I live. It's a stall so popular that the bak kut teh often runs out by lunch time, a bit tricky for someone who enjoys sleeping in when she's home. Unfortunately on this particular day, despite rising at a respectable hour, I couldn't get my dose of Kim Loong bak kut teh as the stall was closed. We decided that the next best option would be to consult the Bak Kut Teh Master.

I've always loved bak kut teh, the herb-infused soup with generous helpings of the different cuts of pork. As a child, I remember bak kut teh restaurants to be landmines of sorts - on one side, the hot claypot of delicious bak kut teh and on the other, the equally hot kettle of water for tea. My parents painted me pictures of getting painfully scalded if I didn't sit absolutely still - something I never had any trouble doing, not with the bak kut teh to keep me happy.

I've never been a fan of bak kut teh that is overly bitter or sweet, always preferring a more subtle taste of the herbs. An extremely generous amount of golden mushrooms, a mixture of ribs and belly pork slices and I've got the perfect pot of bak kut teh.

No round of bak kut teh is complete without yau char guai, the simple dough fried to golden perfection. Dunked into the hot bak kut teh, the little morsels of dough truly bring out the delicious flavours.

Addictive. Incredibly addictive

The Bak Kut Teh Master is definitely worth a visit but it's still Kim Loong Bak Kut Teh that's the master in my book.



Bak Kut Teh Master
No. 61, Off Jalan Wong Ah Jang,
Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia

Kim Loong Bak Kut Teh
Medan Selera Teluk Sisek
Kuantan, Pahang,
Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment